Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kirtland, Ohio

We took the kids up about 45 minutes Northeast to Kirtland, Ohio to check out some old Church Historical sites. Impressive. I have a new respect for Newel K. Whitney and his wife. How much they had to give up...over and over and over...and the opposition all along the way. Made me grateful to drive home to people not wanting to kick me out of their town. They show you a short video to introduce you to the time period and people who lived here and then the nice sister missionaries take you to the houses and can tell you as much or little detail that you want to know. Go here or here for more on what to see in Kirtland. We tried to visit the Temple there, but it was closed.

I don't know how much the kids will remember these sites they visit, but hopefully something about the history, feeling or just the beauty will stick with them.


There was a whole lotta running going on when we let the kids loose after the 45 min drive up North. 





The Whitney store and room upstairs where a lot of great things happened a long time ago.

I think this was the Johnson hotel or something close to that. The people had sold a large amount of property to join the Saints in Kirtland and were put in charge of operating this when they arrived.

I think I remember something about they used to make shoes that were not left or right specific but neutral so that if one or the other was busted or lost you could just use another one without buying a whole other pair.


They didn't have any shoes in her size.

This is the original door from Newel's store. The sister missionaries told us that Joseph Smith went through this door. Kyleigh is demonstrating the probable exact location.


One of the cute (single, almost done with her mission and returning to Utah) missionaries. She knew alot and probably told us something cool about these baskets and jugs but I forgot. It's been a couple weeks since we were there and my memory is not too sharp.


They also told us that these chairs and checker board were original pieces. Brenden probably took one of the former Church leader's seat.
He was just waiting for another player to join.


He was so goofy the whole time. But he was having a good time.

I think there was something significant with this desk. It was in the room above the store where alot of the revelations were received and written, so possibly some were recorded here.

This was the adjacent room on the top floor of the store. It was here that they had the School of the Prophets. Talks about it more here and here.


Original desk. I touched it.

After visiting the store, we went into the Whitney's home. No one was home.

Must have left in a hurry. The pantry was still well stocked.

That chair against the wall is original.

Ashery that made alot of money. I had no idea what that was before visiting Kirtland, but found out all about it. Pretty amazing what they thought up back in the almost 'dark ages'. Check this out to find out what an Ashery is.



They colored, read books and ate cream cheese and jam sandwiches on the way up since we left at dinner time to drive up there and left at their bedtime around 8.


They've become good little travelers and it was nice to take them to a historical site that means so much to our religious past. I enjoyed Kirtland. Especially that video in the beginning. It was 20 minutes long and both kids sat in their seats the entire time (when there was no animation to captivate them even!) In a special fireside meeting with Sister Esplin (of General Primary Presidency), Sister Barbara Thompson (of General Relief Society Presidency) and Elder Seldon (of the Seventy) last Saturday night in Cleveland, we were informed that years ago, the Stake boundaries stretched from Toledo to Youngstown. But when Elder Benson (then the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles) came to organize the Kirtland ward (or was it Kirtland Stake?), he said that he was studying the history of the Kirtland area and asked the newly called local leaders if it was ok that he lifted the curse on the area that had been left a long time ago. After some of the meetings were over, he and a few of the leaders went to an area and said a special prayer.
After Elder Seldon told us that story, it made me want to go look up some of the history and significance of this area. Might help me appreciate my surroundings.
Another fun visit. And nice that they keep it open on Sundays so that we can make a family outing of it when Trent is home with us.

We'll definitely be back.

2 comments:

B&K said...

I love all your travel posts. What a fun trip down church history lane!!:-)

Britney said...

So you're in Cleveland now? I've been trying to figure it out from your recent blogposts but I guess I missed the exact location! I knew it must be somewhere around here. We're in Cincinnati (Kentucky side). We just went to Kirtland in July.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails