Monday, April 23, 2012

We met Mitt

Mitt Romney came to Lorain, Ohio for a speech in the National Gypsum Co warehouse that is now shut down. I had to go to Costco to receive our rebate and grab a few food items for Brenden's birthday on the following Saturday, so it was a great excuse to run up to Lorain and do Costco on the way back...since they both are a bit of a drive in the same direction.
We obviously weren't the only ones planning on making the stop as they had a whole convoy of police, fire department, bomb squad and ambulance. I guess our country follows the boy scout motto seriously: Always Prepared.

To get to where Gov Romney is speaking, you pass by the visual evidence of the lack of change from the current President's administration....
Around 350 people gathered for a 1pm speech on a Thursday afternoon in a town west of Cleveland.

Brenden was obviously fascinating and riveted the entire 18 minutes. Not quite, but I do hope that in addition to my telling the children that we own one of the highest blessings of living in a free country to choose our leaders who will govern and protect us, they can also see me demonstrating my gratitude for such freedoms. What a great privilege it is to travel outside the USA and see first hand what a country might look like without the freedom to select qualified and able leaders....as well as rid themselves of inefficient leaders. "The site was as important as his spoken message"...for a very obvious reason.


When we first walked in, the kids covered their ears and said it was too loud. They soon adjusted.


I think Trent and I were about the only people under 50 (except for the Secret Service dudes). 
It's true, he didn't exactly say anything new, but I'm glad he doesn't change his speech every stop on the campaign trail. He looked more relaxed and comfortable speaking than I have seen in the past. I counted at least 20 SS guys surrounding the crowds. I enjoyed hearing how Mitt proposed to set this country back on track to its original greatness that the founding fathers saw-"United and under God", and without attacking successful businesses. My favorite line was at the end when he said that he served most of his career in the private sector and only 4 years as governor so while he did some time in government, he "didn't inhale".




The SS on the left behind Romney watched every person who talked with Mitt with the same careful study.

Mitt wasn't just going through trying to shake everyone's hands and tell them thanks...he was there to listen. And regularly paused to hear what the people wanted to tell him. I'm not sure the people who write that Mitt is out of touch with the people have ever met him in person. He is incredibly warm and genuine. Go ask the people who actually know him: http://mittromneycentral.com/2012/04/22/romney-most-qualified-in-our-lifetime/






One nice grandma told Trent, after watching Brenden try to put some of the chairs away, "There's a good little Republican boy!"
And after Mitt signed everyone's papers shoved at him, the Secret Service were really trying to rush him to get out of the warehouse, do the interviews with the news stations and board the bus for the next destination. The SS pushed Mitt toward the direction of the door, but he came back to us, rubbed Kyleigh on the shoulder and said, "Now there's a cutie!" and then turned to leave. Trent, Brenden and Kyleigh watch the potential future President leave. Our country, will no doubt, be served well with him at the reins.


Maybe when Kyleigh graduates College she can thank him again for reducing her debt she will inherit.

The warehouse was a few blocks south of Lake Erie. So we stopped to let the kids run around for awhile before loading them in the car for the drive home.


Cool experience. Glad I can now say that I've met Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney. And maybe even more-that my kids have. And he did not disappoint.

1 comment:

B&K said...

That is so cool! What a great experience!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails