Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Where's my handbook?


They give Handbooks to all professionals. Some have books, classes and even entire majors dedicated on telling you how to be 'skilled', 'proficient', and a 'professional' at your chosen occupation. They say Motherhood (and Fatherhood) is one of the most important occupations you can hold in life...so where's the handbook for Parenting?
After a whirlwind of a day, there was a moment where a little nudge was given to let me know where to find my answer. I've heard it before. Sometimes I remember to use it. But it works best if I figure out how to consistently and effectively put the teachings and references into practice myself before I enforce them upon my children.
There's a reason that one of the best Kings in Scriptural history (possibly all of history for that matter) included some key pieces of advice as he was about to pass on.
He reiterated and reminded the Parents of the importance in teaching their children to pray, not quarrel, be obedient and keep the commandments.
Tonight was a frustrating night. Trent had been gone all day, barely showed up for dinner (quite late) and had to rush off to Church to grab some papers for a calling that we received over the phone to put together a Ward Trunk or Treat in 2 weeks. He wasn't able to just grab the papers and come home like he said was supposed to happen, so meanwhile....I had bathed both kids (a mini skirmish to get them to stop playing ...and a toy ended up in the toilet. gross.), put their pj's on, but since Kyleigh is on a 'take-your-diaper-off-every-time-mom-isn't-looking' trend, I had to put her pj's back on about 4 times. At least. Inbetween putting Brenden's clean sheets and waterproof covering on his bed, brush these bedlamites' teeth (at one point, I found them hiding in the basement in the far corner after I finally finished putting Brenden's bed back together. I quickly threatened that the spiders were going to come out of the corner and they better get back upstairs...which worked like a charm....rushed through Scriptures and Prayer (all while making sure Kyleigh was quiet and still by drinking her milk during that whole episode), asked Brenden to please be my helper and grab some books for me to read and wait for me in his bed while I put Kyleigh down. He was obedient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting it was for someone to obey the first time I asked. (PS-dinner was a disaster. Kids didn't eat more than we force them by telling them that ice cream would follow for those who ate more of their rolls, at least).
      After the kids have been sufficiently bribed, thoroughly cleansed, adequately clothed and hurriedly reminded to follow the ancient Prophets' teachings and tell God thanks, I send them up to their rooms to get a few nighttime stories read to send them off to sleep. FAST!
As I walked down the steps, tired, dragging, wishing so badly that the dishes just did themselves and I could just sit down with a book instead of finish the dinner clean up as well as the latest load of laundry, I couldn't get King Ben out of my head. How was I supposed to expect my kids to obey and have harmony between them if I didn't show them how that's done? Who else is supposed to pick up where I left off? From walking around the school halls, I heavily doubt that it is being taught in the school classroom. To expect the Church teachers to simultaneously teach my child individually the ethics and correct code of conduct in society as well as the spiritual lesson for that day is unthinkable. It certainly won't be taught on TV and probably not with his friends either. I have to do it. "arise from the dust...and be men". Get up, stop complaining, being lazy, finding excuses, thinking 'I'm entitled', and get the job done!
 I can't get the comment someone told me once, "That which you look for, is what you'll find" out of my head. Simple, obvious, and undeniably true. All I looked at was the difficulties, unpleasant jobs, and menial tasks to finish.....and that's what I saw. I didn't see that I had alot of dishes to do because I got to feed alot of people. I had a husband that did come home (he wasn't away on business, military, church business or left me for good to be single) as well as 2 healthy kids. I know some friends who have to visit their kids in the hospital, some that have lost kids and even some who wish they could have more. I have a warm house and running water. A good portion of the world would be monumentally grateful for half as much. I don't see my husband much but it is (hopefully) for a short amount of time and for a really great reason....he wants to provide better for us and be home when the kids are home. He couldn't do that with his undergraduate degree. I'm proud of him. (Doesn't mean I don't wish I could see him more....he usually doesn't read this blog, so I'm not too worried about making him feel guilty or bad for being gone from home).
So, I found my handbook. (Here). Was taught a lesson. Will try harder tomorrow. I think all the effort to show a better example and outright teach with words at times will sink in sometime. At least that's the promise given in the handbook, and so far the outcome has proven to be a positive one in the past.
   And I'm sure there is someone else a little Higher Up who wishes that I, too, would just be more obedient, more harmonious and keep all His commandments. He really doesn't ask much.


11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have atasted of his love, and have received a bremission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own cnothingness, and his dgoodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of ehumility, fcalling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing gsteadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
 12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the alove of God, and always bretain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the cknowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.

1 comment:

Jordan and Jodi said...

I love this post...so real! You're really a great, and interesting writer! Thanks for the gentle reminder of the 'handbook'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails