I'm trying to be a better scripture reader. I used to be a girl who couldn't even go to sleep without reading my scriptures. I remember in college when I would lay down in bed, but toss and turn and not know why until I realize I hadn't read yet, so I pulled out those old records, and the minute I finished and laid back down, I could fall right to sleep. But, sadly, I seem to very easily let it slide. I tell myself that a simple quick article in the ensign is enough...or even worse and more often, "I'm tired, and I'm a good person, I'll read tomorrow".
When I do read, I love it. At the beginning it feels like a chore to pick the big book up and open its pages, but by the end, it's not enough......feels like I could keep reading....
And then, when I actually go into the reading wanting to find something a little more than that black and white print, it's so cool when thoughts come. That's when it becomes 'exciting'. Feels maybe like those treasure hunters do when they feel like they 'discover' something. And, they get a little giddy and look around at who they can share this cool 'gem' with that they just pulled out of the earth...while their hands still have dirt under the fingernails.
I couldn't sleep much past 4:30 so I pulled open Mark. Can I share a few thoughts that kinda feel like they can't sit still inside of me?
Mark 4:37-40 "And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, cares thou not that we perish? And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?"
The disciples are soaking wet, they're experienced seamen. They know when to fear a storm and when something is manageable. They may have exchanged glances a few times at each other as to how their "Master" could still be "asleep on a pillow" with all the tossing and waves now filling up the ship. But when he woke up, he spoke very simple language and then rebuked them for their 'faith'.
At first I thought, "Well, who wouldn't be fearful with giant waves coming into the boat and being tossed around?" But then I realized that Christ was in their boat. That boat would never sink with him in it. That just wouldn't happen. So, likewise, if I am doing what is right and in my house/boat/person have kept the commandments, I have the promise of the Holy Ghost which is the same as companionship of Christ since they are one in purpose. When difficulty arises, I can get fearful and worried and forget my faith....which has the power to sustain in difficult times...as though I could stand in the middle of waves boisterous and remain calm and peaceful knowing that everything will be alright. Should we let the waves keep coming in? No, pick up a pail and keep bailing. And I don't hold the power to calm the waves, but I know and trust the Man who does. And he calmed them for some scared disciples and he will calm them for me. He doesn't want to see us drown and overcome in troubles, he wants to see us rise triumphant and be steady in our course and especially in the "big waves trials". Stand still and know that I am God. Do we or do we not believe that the creator of Heaven and Earth is in charge? And as long as I align myself with his rules/commandments to be worthy of Holy Ghost then I have nothing to "fear".
Mark 5:34-36. Jesus just got off the boat from being kicked out of country of Gadarenes because 2,000 swine jumped off a cliff and drowned in the sea because the devils left the crazy man. Then, he is still "nigh unto the sea"....not quite at the beach of the next place when Jairus begs him to hurry and come to his house because his daughter is about to die. That father is pleading with everything he's got. Jesus no doubt saw what it meant to this man to have his daughter back. There were "much people gathered" but I bet Jairus had no problem pushing every single one of them back to get to Jesus first. His need was urgent. He probably never left Jesus' side as they walked through the city to get to his house. As they go through the city, the whole crowd follows him. They are ready for the 'show'. They got wind that he took out the devils of a crazy man, and now he was going to keep a girl from dying? This oughtta be good! Jairus may have been trying to rush Jesus to his house. Maybe they were in a fast walking mode....not sure it was a casual stroll through the city streets to this synagogue ruler's house. Then, Jesus stops. He said virtue (power, strength) left him and wants to know who touched his clothes and was healed. The lady comes forth and tells her story of issue of blood. "While (Jesus) yet spake"....his words of "Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace...." a man from Jairus house comes to tell him that his daughter is dead and not to bother "the Master" anymore. Jesus heard what the man said and it looks like he didn't even let Jairus speak to him before he looked at Jairus and said "Be not afraid, only believe". (Isn't this similar to what he told his disciples just last 'chapter'? Fear and faith......)
As if you thought the issue of blood was a miracle, now watch this......
He can stop blood from running (woman with issue of blood), and he can bring blood back into running form inside one's body (Jairus's daughter).
He works according to the individual needs of the people.
It also takes strength out of Christ to heal people. If he felt a discernible amount of strength leave him with the simple healing of the issue of blood, what did it take when he raised a girl from the dead?
He didn't do it for the daughter. He knew she was going to be alright in Heaven. But Jesus did it for that father. And the mother. They were desperate.
At this point, Jesus is still part mortal....and again, it took strength to heal the woman with issue of blood. If you turn the page and read the very first verse of the next chapter (Mark6) it says he went out from thence, and into his own country. He probably had to rest. At least a little bit. He wore out his body, and not just in The Garden or on The Hill, but his whole mortal ministry. Maybe like President Monson, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment