Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Brenden's 1st day of Preschool

Brenden began Preschool. He was excited and not a bit nervous.We took him there to meet the kids and teachers before his actual first day and he immediately ran to the toys...only to be pulled away by the promise of chocolate milk and muffins. He didn't want to leave early. Wanted to stay and play with the kids. They were all choosing books after their snacks and as Aunty Ash knows (who had to read him about 8 because she kept giving into his "more! more! more!" requests) the boy loves books. There are always several in each room as we tuck the house in at night.
Honestly, I was happy that he was happy. It was most definitely weird going from 2 toddlers all day long to just one boss during the day. But, when he jumped in my car after the first full day and told me "Mom, kids nice [to] B"....I am very happy for this stage in his life. Last night at dinner Brenden has already put together a couple of full sentences!!!!!!! This is great news. This early preparation for 'real' school will do much for his overall success in school and happiness with making friends. As of now, some kids don't want to play with him because they don't want to patiently wait for him to form the words and make the sentence of what he wants to do. So they'd rather just play with other kids. He's left out. And the sweet friends who do play with him, kindly lead him from one venture to the next. Which is good. But, I'm anxious to see him either participate equally or even initiate some play himself. Take the lead and direct the kids to this corner of cars, trains, balls or over to that side of the playground and have a pretend battle. He is either alone or just follows suit...so we are hopeful that along with the motor, mental and behavior skills that this preschool instructs, he will also learn some valuable social skills. Yes, our 3 year old to develop social skills. I just want the experience he will have when he enters Kindergarten and the kids are making friends and participating in class, to be a positive one. In the setting he is in now, the kids are all patient, he gets some extra help, and the learning is fun-mostly songs, books and playtime. He will develop an idea that school and learning is enjoyable. Not endured or disappointing (if the kids don't play nice, etc).
As I left him on the 2nd day of school, I saw a kid try to take a truck away from him. The kid hit Brenden, he was mad. I went over to him, told him that it wasn't nice for kids to take trucks away, but we can still be nice and share. I got up and walked to the door. Brenden, still fuming, got up, looked as though he had made a decision to be nice, and was handing one of his trucks to another kid. That's my boy. He's not perfect. And he doesn't always want to share or pick up his toys and go to bed, but when given a choice, I've seen his heart. And it's good.

This was after his first full day of school. Still smiling. Good sign.



We had to make a stop at Target on the way home to pick up his first backpack! So many options. He wanted the Cars backpack, but it didn't have shoulder straps, only a long handle to pull along like a wheeled-luggage. Kyleigh wants out to choose a backpack too. Not yet! I need one of you at home to play with!



Got a backpack. Now all ready for 2nd full day of school (full preschool day. From 9-12). He's excited. Mom is happy.

Let's goooooooo Mom!


Alright, you're taking too long. I'm outta here. I know the way.

I'm pretty sure it's that way.....But all these houses look alike...



You won't let me walk? Alright. I'll fly.

Hmm, maybe I don't know the way after all. (Funny sight when the backpack is almost as big as the kid).

This is where I let go of his hand and told him to walk in front of me (to capture the picture). He wasn't so sure of letting go. I suppose he was making sure I was still keeping my word and coming with him to drop him off at his classroom.

Due to privacy laws, I am not allowed to have anyone else's child in my pictures. I want to keep this photo to show Brenden's trailer he attends, but kids are in it, so they are blocked out. Lehi Elementary is to the right. This trailer is part of Lehi Elementary and I kinda like the little Preschool kids having a separate place of their own. School fields to the left.



Can't quite reach. Once he puts his backpack up, he's supposed to grab his monkey and put it on the Attendance tree.


Help.


Cool setup. Brenden thinks so too. That's why he doesn't even wait to get his monkey...he jets to the toys. He's no dummy. He knows where the good stuff is and early bird gets the best worms. But in this case, not worms, cars.


2 worms, I mean, cars. Worms would be gross.

This is one of the helper ladies. She is extremely nice and good to Brenden. He likes to sit at her table because she'll give him seconds and thirds when he asks for more chocolate milk during snack time. 2nd day, still smiling.


Kid goes to school and thinks he can drive a car already...without telling me where he's going either. Maybe I should get him a cell phone? 

 Baby girl sees how much fun Brother is having at school...she wants to get in on the mirth and merriment.


Please, Mom?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails