Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lest we forget...

...Brenden lives here too. (I felt like I was highlighting Kyleigh exclusively, and since she has a brother, I should probably talk about him too). This boy has a heart of gold. Last night he said something that wasn't nice. It made me sad that he would be so mean. I wasn't ready for that. It was bedtime, Trent was gone at Mutual, I had just finished tucking Kyleigh in bed and walked into his room to put him to bed. When I opened the door, he said something not nice. It took me off guard, so instead of spout off what I thought about that language, I just took all his books in his room, told him to put the sheets back on his bed that he ripped off and walked out the door, closing it behind me. I started to debate whether keeping him in his current Preschool was really worth it (they told me the speech therapist wasn't even showing up so they switched him to another one...which was the whole reason he's going to that school instead of one closer to home). I was seriously considering pulling him out since he's come home a little less kind and more violent than he ever has...(but surely some of that is because when one thing happens, all you can think about are the many other 'like' instances instead of the whole, balanced picture of the good things that come out as well). Instead of act on my own impulses, I knelt down to ask for higher guidance. I didn't want to be brash but also wanted to make sure I curbed this kind of behavior real quick. I had just finished when I heard his door open. He stood in the open doorway and I heard him say to himself, "say sorry to Mommy. Say sorry." He came and found me, walked over gingerly, wrapped his skinny arms around me, laid his head on my shoulder and said, "Sorry Mommy. Sorry. I love you." I hadn't said a word to him, didn't direct him or tell him what the right course of action should be. All on his own, his little four-year-old self figured out that what he did was wrong and what he should then do to make amends. And he wasn't scared, embarrassed or too shy to admit where he was wrong and make sure he did what he should to fix his mistake. I couldn't be any luckier than to be his Mommy.

The little guy loves Bugs Bunny. Could watch the guy beat all the bad guys for hours if I let him:)

Architect. The boy hatches up some great fort ideas.

Couple more years and we can submit some of his drawings to Disney :)

 First time going to the Dentist and he had this type of attitude the whole time. The Dentist even told him to get another toy. I told the Dentist that the x-ray lady had already given him one, but he told Brenden that he did so well, he deserved two toys. Treatment like that might just make going to the Dentist not such a bad thing.

So very patient and flexible when Kyleigh was in the hospital and he was thrown from house to house on minutes notice. He was content and easy-going whether sitting at a boring hospital room or going to a different friends house every so often. Nice to be able to leave him somewhere and not have to worry about how he's going to act in a new place.

Like his Dad, a natural equestrian. 

Not uncommon to see him on the phone in the middle of a serious conversation. I recorded one the other day when he was on the stairs, but he caught me trying to sneak up to him to capture it better. 

Regular Western Cowboy.





Really likes building things. And he usually has the patience to finish it.

Taxi driver


Likes his aunts and uncles and making funny faces.

 Another piece of evidence that this boy doesn't follow the normal beats and patterns of 4 year olds...he pushes aside the french fries to grab a large chunk of lettuce out of his Dad's sandwich to chow down on. 

 He actually likes the cold more than the heat. I don't understand it. Definitely come from his paternal side.

Speaking of his paternal side, it'll be awhile before he can properly fit into any of his Dad's jeans, but all records indicate a trend towards that stature. 

WINGS!! Always puts a smile on the boy's face.

He'll also offer a few grins when given the chance to help put a few pieces together.

A bit blurry, the best one I got, but a shot to represent the little guy's taste for all things culinary. He really can sit through Food Network shows or anxiously pull up a stool to give a stir to anything in the bowl that Mom is cooking with. Here he gave a couple cranks of the ice cream maker machine at Farmpark near Kirtland.
 And when I get his help in the kitchen, we'll usually reward him by taking a few licks out of the bowl. This one happened to be on Poppy's birthday when we made Texas Sheet cake.

Like her Mom, Kyleigh is incredibly lucky. 
 This one I caught as we were coming home from seeing a snake presentation (kids got to touch a real snake, snake skin and see snake eggs). He was trying to sneak attack her. I don't think she ever consented her hand to him. Doesn't stop him from keep on trying.


Kyleigh was drinking her nightly milk when Buddy saw her and came down to lie next to her. He enjoys her company. Usually.
 You better believe he'll be a great older, protective brother. I'm counting on him being my extra set of eyes in the halls of High School :)



 And gosh, I couldn't be more proud of what a handsome, happy-go-lucky, genuine, sweet and helpful little man he is. Even with cupcake frosting all over his mouth. He fills the title 'Buddy' to the fullest-a guy you want to hang around and have as your pal wherever you go.

1 comment:

Art and Evelyn said...

You're a great Momma, Coley. You're an inspiration as well! Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails