Friday, September 26, 2014

BYU Football and dude time

Trent had to make a quick trip up to Salt Lake City to meet his parents, and he readily, albeit hesitantly but somewhat urgently, told me that it happened to fall on the same day BYU was to play a home game against Virginia and that would be a shame to be in the same city and not go see his beloved cougars whom he had not had the privilege to see in over 3 years. 
I could see it clearly in his eyes how very badly he wanted to go, but I calmly reminded him that we were on the brink of forking over all our liquid assets into our very first home we were about to purchase. 
I wanted to give him those football tickets. Very much. 
But I couldn't convince myself of the judicial decision that would be. It felt unwise.
Then I talked with my sister, Courtney, and remembered that this life is one to make a lot of great memories as well. We won't take our liquid assets with us, but Trent and Brenden would always have this Father and Son outing with them. I didn't want to be the one to rob them of that. 
So, before Trent got home on Friday, the night before the game, I presented Trent with BYU football tickets for 2 and an extra plane flight. 
Oh how his eyes lit up! There was an extra excitement and a lightness to his mood. He immediately set forth to fix anything in the house and be as big a help as he could possibly think to be. It was as if he was trying to find any way to express his gratitude. He fixed every drawer and cupboard that was loose in the kitchen, he fixed the stool legs, he helped with dinner cleanup and putting the kids to bed with a light and airy temperament. It was awesome. 
The next morning, as I drove Trent and Brenden to the airport, the happiness was again palpable. They promised to send me lots of photos and call me often with updates. I wanted to be a small part of the action in real time :)
Below are a few photos I received via text from their adventure up north. 
Trent showed B around the BYU campus and took their time walking back to the car after the game was over....it was as if Trent didn't want to leave his alma mater behind.
They went to the HLRC where Trent was working when he and I first met, to the duck pond and forage near the bell tower, and to the creamery on 9th for some mint chocolate chip ice cream. They past through a few rain and lightning storms on the 6 hour drive home, but safely made it back to their beds just before midnight. A long, exhausting day.....but one they'll probably remember for some time.

2 comments:

Brandilynn said...

You are so right about memories lasting and assets not! I try to remember that often. Even though money and security mayer, living the life we are living is more important!

Brandilynn said...

Ok, try *matter, not mayer, and loving the life we are living! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails