It had been on the tougher side of days. Physically, it was taxing. Unpacking an entire household of goods while running the family as both Mom and Dad so that Dad can study for a very important test, was taking it's toll. Mentally, I was making mistakes that I wished I could re-do and make it better. Somehow the mental stuff seems harder than the physical. I'd rather wake up early and go to bed late and perform physical labor for 10 hours straight than have to sort through and filter and overcome mental difficulties. Without hesitation.
Under this duress, I was at my third store for the day, and this time because I forgot to pick up bottle liners at Target while picking up a modem. I knew that Kent could use some more baby food since he has 1 prunes and 2 green peas left, so I stuff as many as I can into my arms (carts would take too long since I went in to grab bottle liners and I was trying to get in there and back home as fast as I could). Also, I have milk and meals planned so as to not have to run to the grocery store again in awhile...so I tried to do the same with the baby food...grab a lot so that I don't have to come back for awhile.
Then I remembered that I wanted to make molasses crinkle cookies for the men who helped get our house painted, and I was missing ginger and nonfat dry milk. I scan the titles of the aisles quickly and find the baking aisle. Ginger was easy to spot, and as I make my way down for the dry milk, a nice older man and his teenage son see me and call out,
"Here, please take my cart. We only have this one thing and you have so many in your arms. Please take it."
Initially, I don't want to bother them or take their cart they brought into the store and I'm really just trying to go fast, but he says it again,
"Oh, it's no trouble. Here, [taking out his bottle of juice and pushing the cart toward me] take our cart and if you'll allow me, I'll just grab this top baby food so that you can manage getting the rest of them into the cart."
At this juncture, I stop. And think, it would be nice to not worry about all the baby food toppling when I reach for the dry milk and make my way to the check out. And he is so nice, and the gesture seems so genuine.
So, I smile at him, and say, "Thank you so much. I was just trying to hurry home to feed the baby, and this will certainly help. Thank you."
They both smile and move on their way down the aisle.
Right there, in the middle of Walmart at near 8pm, I felt it. God's love and recognition of me. He was aware of my plight...not just the physical one, but the mental one as well and He sent a very nice older gentleman with graying hair and glasses and his son to send me a tender mercy....someone is looking out for me. Someone cares.
I turn around and walk again toward the dry milk...this time with tears welling up in the corners of my eyes. It was a wonderful night, after all.
1 comment:
Nicole, THANK YOU! I love that you recorded this moment! I have been away from the blogging world for awhile and I am trying to get back into recording our daily history. This is a great reminder of "what" to post! You should think about writing a book! I love your writing, so easy to read! I just picked up a book last week that I can't even get through the first page because of the "rough" writing but I want to read this book so I am trying! But thanks again for your experience!
Post a Comment