Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Sometimes it just takes faith

Last night (Saturday, November 29th), electricity went out again in Soda Springs. Rodger and Mary woke up at 5am freezing cold. It was 20 degrees outside and that was seeping its way inside without anything to counter its destined course. Had we not left on Saturday and stayed as planned until Sunday, no one would have received a restful night as the cold would have roused even the deepest sleeper. All the kids, Trent and I would have been cold and tired....with a 10 hour drive still ahead of us. I shiver just to think of the terrible prospect.

Another cool "coincidence". This morning (Sunday, November 30th), I went to grab milk at store. We had none and the kids would all be awake soon. On my way home, I tried a way I've never taken before. Just saw this street and wanted to see if it would take me all the way across the residential areas to my neighborhood. Just as I came to the end of the paved street and came upon a giant dirt lot not yet developed and with no marked road, I saw a dad and young son about 2 or 3, walking down the dirt road. They looked like they've been on the streets awhile...their clothes dirty and loose. Their hair unwashed and unkempt. Their gait a little slow...as though there was no place to get to in a hurry.
So I pulled over, opened my trunk full of freshly purchased groceries and asked them if they were hungry. The dad nodded and the little boy looked on unknowingly. I quickly went through sacks to find anything that didn't need to be cooked or kept cool. The first thing I reached for was Cheerios. I handed that to the dad and he looked about to move on. I returned to the bags even more quickly and tried to find anything else I could. Powdered donuts! I grabbed the white bag and pulled it out quickly. The little boys eyes lit up as bright as a Christmas tree on Christmas eve. It was wonderful.
A good detour that day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails