Thursday, March 5, 2015

A little rambling...

I just kissed Kyleigh good-bye and waved the "I love you" hand sign as she drove away with the Salgado's for Kindergarten. She enjoys her teacher alot. Today was pajama day. I tried to convince her to wear pigtails for pj day, but she didn't have that. It was a lone pony tail today.
Then, I scour the internet while eating my cheese quesadilla to find out how to buy student tickets for the BYU tournament game being played at New Orleans arena here in Vegas. This is one of the biggest perks in Trent's mind, I'm sure, of living in Las Vegas...he gets to see live tournament games.
Well, I stumble across the byu.edu academics home page and a flood of thoughts and memories come rushing through the screen and into my mind and heart. Oh, how I absolutely loved my time at BYU. Spring semester was alot of outdoor play time--tennis classes, volleyball pick up games, softball intramurals, and plain ol' sitting on the grass anywhere on campus because the weather was absolutely gorgeous and the people were so friendly and fun. There is a special spirit that attends that university and anyone lucky enough to roam the halls has most likely felt. I never did attend many of the movie nights at the WILK, though I always thought I should. I did take alot of sports classes. If I remember right, almost 1 every semester. Church was great...even when it was early and I wanted to sleep in after a long weekend. My roommates were fun--especially freshman and sophomore year where we were a little less serious about studying and more focused on forming new friendships and making memories. My very best college friend, Evelyn Deaver, will forever be my best friend. She was lively, gracious, funny, caring, understanding, intelligent, pretty and complimentary/kind. I still want to be the kind of friend to everyone around me that she was to me. I got to room with my sister and I liked that. We grew to know each other even more than when we lived at home.
I remember the excitement of starting a new semester. Getting the syllabus online before class started and reading through it and seeing all the new things I would learn. My gosh, how exciting that was. I loved the idea of learning something new. And then trying to rush to the BYU bookstore at the first available opening to get the nicest "used" book I could find. :) Maybe that's why I've recently looked at some online classes just to keep learning. And good thing I have books to keep my interest peaked in a variety of subjects. I love history, fiction, science fiction even-ever since reading Ender's Game I've been a fan, and especially historical fiction. Combine the two and it just fleshes out a real story that keeps me pondering about the story I just read and possible other versions long after I close the book.
Of course, there's also the part about meeting my husband...which in and of itself deserves its own blog post...that was an 'adventure' that I wouldn't mind re-living a few times over. It was everything I hoped it would be and every bit magical. Stressful, yes. But excitement took over any reservations and now, almost 9 years later, I am so happy I answered the call to a strange phone number and agreed to give this HLRC employee/Spanish classmate a ride to his basketball intramural game. His black and gold striped knee-high socks and headband gave me a good glimpse into the character that I would find inside this handsome, hard working and responsible guy.
BYU was nice. On so many levels. From its grounds, to the available activities and events, friends, and finding my love, it was an adventure I will always be able to look back on with fond and warm memories.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails