May 26, 2016
Just watched my cousin's child (Kyre-Kristen's child) holding his brand new baby sister. He was singing to her in one of those little, angelic child voices. And making up the words as they came.
The best thing was in the background, you can hear all the chaos going on as doctors, nurses, hospital staff are working to help my cousin.
It was really cool to see and hear that contrast. How chaos can be loud, confusing for a child, and in constant motion. But he was able to be unruffled by it all, sat in perfect calmness, with a new baby in his arms, and think to make the baby happy by singing to her.
I want to be like that kid.
I want to see through the chaos of my day, the loud voices pulling for my attention (via internet, phone, tv, etc), and the constant motion of life in general....to find a place that is calm and serene.
A place where I could just be perfectly happy singing a made up song to my little baby....(or all 4 of my babies).
Us parents are given the charge to do just that. Provide a safe haven. A refuge from the storm. There isn't going to be lightning and thunder....but a storm of other proportions. I hope I always recognize when that storm is coming, and see the chaos and motion for what it is---just 'white noise', or attempts to distract me, to pull me away from my most prized and important job---making my family feel loved and comfortable.
I hope I never forget that video. I hope I always remember how it made me feel.
I can provide a refuge from the storm. My kids need a safe haven.


No comments:
Post a Comment