Thursday, July 28, 2016

Adoption is amazing

Adoption is one of those experiences that you must go through to understand. I'm still an 'outsider' as I view my sister and the birth moms exchange smiles, tearful embraces, and babies.
It is not easy. It has all the feels-happiness, sadness, tension, worry, comfort--but to the extreme.

The birth mom I met today is a sweet girl. I hope I never forget the experience tonight. Watching her try to hold back the tears when she spoke about first finding out that she was pregnant and then how she felt imaging her baby having a mother and father and LOTS of aunts, uncles, grandparents who will love her baby. I was at a loss for words. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to hug her. I wanted to cry with her. Tell her everything will be ok.

The hard times aren't over for her. She will most likely experience some tough, lonely nights. There was no one at the hospital for her. No mom, dad, sister, brother, relative of any sort...to congratulate her on the birth of a baby girl. No one anxiously waiting for a picture of the newest babe. Do her parents even know? Do they know there is a granddaughter? That is now going to be lovingly raised by my sister and her husband?

My sister is spending the night at the hospital to care for her new baby. Feed, change, kiss and hold little Grace. What a difference 24 hours makes.

Robert Frost is right : "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails