Friday, September 9, 2016

Kids beginning new school year

As a child, there is no question: summer is the best! No homework, long, lazy days and lots of vacations and activities with friends and family.
As a parent, there is some question: for a variety of reasons, it's nice to have the kids at school. But the thing I am more concerned with....more than hours of homework and early rise times.....is the outside influence. During summer, I can have direct control over the media, books, friends, conversation and teachings of my kids. Once they hit the school grounds, I can {mostly} just hope for the best.

Of course, as parents, it's our duty and God-given privilege to teach our children the correct principles. I must be the first to teach them to say "I'm sorry" when they make a mistake or do something wrong. I have to be the one to help them understand that they are not entitled to anything they see on God's green earth. Hard work and honesty will bring the greatest, lasting dividends. Be kind, wait your turn, make a friend to the lonely, try your best and don't give up.
I cannot expect the teacher or other students to teach these things to my kids. I cannot shirk this responsibility. It has to be done. And on the daily.  (That's the hard part! Sometimes I swear my words will never sink in. But that's the adversary's propaganda: give up, not worth the effort, never going to get it.) So I keep trying. Try different tactics. Time out, extra chores, writing letter, giving hugs,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails