There was one day where it seemed as though everything went wrong. I couldn't get any task accomplished. None of the kids were getting along with each other. I tried to think of constructive and useful games for them to play and it all ended in fights and struggle. At one point, at the end of the day, during family scripture study, I remember feeling excited that tomorrow was a new day and that the effects and events of this day didn't have to carry on to tomorrow. I was so happy for that.
Then, the next day happened. And everything was different. The kids were listening and obedient. They were happy and cheerful. We smiled and had a good time together.
Then, at the end of that day, it felt so sweet. It was as though if I had not experienced the hard day before, this good day would not have been as sweet.
Because of the difficulty, the good was more valued. More welcomed, more cherished.
Kids taught me a good lesson. As with anything, it is not the external circumstances that determine the person who I am. It is how I deal with those difficulties. Do I loose hope? Do I crumble? Wish for better days and give up? Or keep trying no matter how futile my efforts seem?
I am never a failure as long as I keep trying. I want to be successful. And success doesn't look like roses and sweet tones floating through the air. Success looks a lot more like a big breath, another prayer, a plea for help to keep my spirits high, and my patience strengthened like a muscle that gets a good workout.
Like regular weight training, the muscles only grow strong when they are used through repetition.
If I wilt at the first sign of trial, my patience will not have the opportunity to grow....I have not used it. On days when the kids, housework, tasks, etc seem to require my patience at every turn, I will have enjoyed a very good workout that day and my muscle of patience will have grown strong...and that is success.
No comments:
Post a Comment