For Memorial Day Weekend, we went down to Vegas and then drove down with my family to AZ for my cousin Jaydie King's block party. She passed away from a brain tumor so every year the family has a block party to raise money for Cancer research. It was a very good time (except for one little scare described below) and we were sad it was over so quickly. We stayed at my Grandma King's house and Brenden got to play with my cousin's baby-Jake Byrd. We are very sad that they live in Yuma and we live in West Jordan because those two were so cute playing together. Jake is surrounded by loving parents and grandma so he is a very happy and playful boy.
Brenden in new shark pj's from Gma. He absolutely loved to go up and down this one step in Great Grandma's house.

Jake giving hug. "Brothers don't shake hands, brothers hug!"

"Let's go Brenden, I found the coolest little truck over here..."

Gma gets down and plays with the boys.

Dad stopped here at Luchia's right before we started riding to get some essentials-candy. That was basically all we stopped for-just candy. I guess riding gives him a sweet tooth. Maybe it's an old tradition he used to do as a kid when he would race.

Dad makes a good cranky old lady. Will these two ever grow up? Hope not.

Dad strapping Brenden's car seat in the Ranger RZR. This thing drives like a champ!


All smiles and excited to take his
first 4 wheeling trip. What a better place than AZ and better driver than his Gma!

The 'boss' on his 4 wheeler. The best run of the day was the one Trent and I got to go on with him. I think he has a 6th sense for good trails.

Beautiful day. I think it was in the 70s. Which for AZ during May is
very unusual.

Trent and I.


Dad found a good trail that goes up on a hill and right up to overlook the freeway. It was the road less traveled.

Such a beautiful valley

Brenden really loves his Grandpa. He used to prefer Steph out of anybody in the family because he sees her the most when she was up in Utah going to school, but she's been down in Vegas working for a month, and so during church when Brenden was playing on Grandpas lap and Steph asked to see him, the moment he got transferred to her lap, he lunged back toward Grandpa and was reaching for him, crying unhappily. As soon as he was safely back in Grandpa's lap, he was all smiles and a happy dude. If he's going to choose favorites, he is a wise boy.

Aunt Court feeding him yogurt. She is doing what I catch myself doing when I feed him-opening my mouth as if eating the food that I am placing in his mouth. Thanks for feeding him Court!

The clan resting after a long, hard day of 4wheeling. Dad had a bathroom and shower built in the front part of this trailer. All the women in this family are grateful.

There were so many cows all over. When scott and I went on the RZR we had to wait a good while for them all to cross the trail before we could go. (we were told you get a fine if they catch you off the trail or wash).

Scott and Trent. Can't these guys keep up?

Brenden trying to escape at the airport in Vegas. I think he was trying to get back to Gma's house.

Scary story: Since my dad grew up in AZ, he used to ride alot in the AZ desert. He told us two things we had to do: stay together and watch out for barbed wire. He usually does a good job instilling these warnings in us by using gruesome, but real stories of people who have been decapitated by running through barbed wire just right and not seeing it. It was the last run of the day and everyone was resting before we load everything back up so Trent, Scott and I decide to take one last run. My dad had taken Trent and I on a really pretty run and we wanted to take Scott there. We told him there was some barbed wire up ahead so be careful. There is some little streams running through the desert that you have to go through and as we go through them Scott thinks its fun and probably good to splash one of us. Trent and I are riding ahead of him because we know where the barbed wire is. The wire runs over a bank and is just barely high enough for a 4wheeler and person to get through if you duck, but just to be sure, we have someone lift it a bit to get safely through. I stop my machine in front of the barbed wire and begin to get off to hold it up for Trent and Scott. Trent stops also and then Scott comes up from behind, stops, then wonders why we are stopping and supposing it is to talk, but seeing some water, he thinks this is a good time to splash us. He accelerates and since he is not ducking, he hits the barbed wire and it catches him at his chest level and his goggles, which throw him back giving him a bit of whip lash. I screamed as he goes through (Scott says it was one of those screams that you hear on a horror movie, which I thought I was watching the worse horror movie of my life) and Trent and I run over to him. I didn't know if the wire had cut him open or what. Once we get over to him, we see he is ok, bleeding on his arms and cheek and luckily not in shock either. He actually told us
not to tell Dad and that we can keep going. I don't know what he thought we could tell Dad about how the scratches got there-wild indians? Rock shower? There is no way I am going to keep going. I insist that we all turn back to where the family is. Once we get back, I explain what happened, we get the Bactrim stuff to keep his cuts from getting infected, clean him up as best as possible and hug him a little extra tight that day. I'm just so grateful that the wire hit him at his goggles and helmet instead of 3 inches below at his neck. Brenden can't loose his only uncle he has on my side yet, so he was watched over and we get to go home with no serious casualties. Guys at his work call him Uncle Scar now. I really love that boy and am so grateful he came into
our family, and now we get to keep him longer. Other than that, the weekend was extremely fun and went too fast.
1 comment:
That looks like a lot of fun! the barbed wire thing is scary. I am glad he is ok! That happened to my dad a long time ago. He was chasing a cow and ran across a barbed wire fence that was down. But a part of it came back up and hooked him on the throat. I watch as he got flipped back and landed like a cat on his feet. It was the wierdest thing but he only came out with a minor scratch!
Post a Comment