Tuesday, August 17, 2010

BYU

After visiting with Asha Paige, helping her bring her belongings up to her new apartment and finding a nail in her tire, Trent and I took the kids to the greatest campus on planet earth. We rather enjoyed our time at BYU. Excuse the comparison, but going back after we've graduated seems to be a bit like 'giving birth'. You seem to forget all the pain, studying and stress of it all and only recall the good, fun times that the work of attaining a college degree brought. It was there that I met my good friend, Evelyn, whom I still keep in close contact with....had fun sleepovers, all nighters:), and boy crazy talks with (which have now 'graduated' into kid crazy talks). Living in a closet of a room at Deseret Towers was an 'experience'. Making sure to schedule a 20 min walk to my first class was not ideal, and that didn't include the mess of finding a parking spot in student lots. But Football, Basketball and Volleyball games, trips up the canyon, a constant flux of people playing sand volleyball, swimming, and tennis more than made up for the exams, papers and the countless textbooks we had to read. I remember the rush to get to the Bookstore before all the 'Used' Books and cheap $ were taken. But, the rush to schedule the good PE classes, coordinate Gospel classes with friends and make sure we had All-Sports pass tickets in the same section balanced everything out. BYU not only gave me a great college experience, but one I can look back on with happiness. Some think of the rules as confining, but that is simply a sad misconception. BYU's 'rules' allowed me to share all my memories with my children without having to 'edit' them for 'adult content'. I enjoy remembering everything I did. Not having to worry about attracting the wrong kind of guy that would want me for the wrong reason which would only lead to sadness and regret. Some think that you need to experience all that life has to offer in order to 'live'. That is such a sad way to govern one's choices. Makes me think of what a wise person once said, "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive".  College can have a bad reputation in certain areas, and for that, I'm glad BYU has a reputation as consistently scoring as the #1 stone-cold sober school in the nation.
 
 BYU landscape has changed even since I was there. Kids like it.
 

Trent wore the wrong color shirt.

Sissy's favorite game. Tag brother.

Brenden's favorite game. Copy sissy.


Dad's favorite game. Throw kids.



And they rather enjoy it also.

Alot.


And of course, Brenden always wants one more turn. More, more..


Who wants to go to BYU???
It's unanimous. :)

B: You can cheer for me on the field as I run in the touchdown!

A miracle. Both kids looking at the camera at the same time. And wearing such great looking apparel :)

Only 18 more days left...

A natural cougar

Pulling a Jimmer Fredette.

Recognizing the great legacy BYU holds

Taking notes

Funny story. Trent insisted that there was another ramp going uphill from the bottom of the RB and Smith Fieldhouse on the north side, but I was sure that the only ramp was the one on the south end. He kept insisting that there was another ramp, so we went to find it. It magically disappeared, so instead of backtracking to the south ramp, Trent just picked up Kyleigh in the stroller and carried her all the way up the stairs next to the RB. That's alot of stairs. But he did it handily.

There is always a train nearby.

I think she liked what she saw that day. On one side of her family line, she would be the 4th generation to attend BYU. But we'll still love her whatever college she chooses. Promise.

5 comments:

faith said...

Looks like a great time! I love going to BYU with future cougars!

I've got to ask: Where is that cougar statue in the picture with Brenden located? It seems much closer than going to the football stadium for a picture (like we've done. It's too bad that's so far out of the way!). My guess is the Student Athlete Center based on your other pictures, but I've never been there, so I can't be sure. Would you mind sharing? :)

Bekah said...

Aww- I love the pictures! It makes me miss BYU campus so much. So many good memories. Hopefully we'll be able to make it back someday :-)

Art and Evelyn said...

I LOVED BYU!! I couldn't have asked for a better freshman and sophomore years because they were with you, baby!! Such good memories!! This time of year is the time of year I miss it the most... so much it hurts sometimes!!

Jordan and Jodi said...

I love love love these pictures! My favorite was helped by the commentary...who wants to go to BYU?!! How cute! Frame it for their rooms! WE miss BYU so much and we are looking forward to the day we get to go back on cmapus again. I loved your post...you said what I've wanted to say about BYU's rules to my YW girls. They aren't so sure they want to even apply to BYU. Come on! It's FANTASTIC!

Jennifer Lee said...

Cole:

I love these pictures of the kiddos at BYU. Kyleigh is adorable all decked out in Blue and White...although you must make sure they both equal parts maroon and gold...haha!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails