However, with all this Basketball talk and notoriety that BYU has received with their incredible run in conference play and Player of the Year candidate Jimmer Fredette....BYU has become highly talked about and recognized for another reason....the Honor Code. How cool. ESPN analysts Chris Broussard and Skip Bayless had this to say about whether the Honor Code was Unrealistic or not:
Even the great Dick Vitale had something to say (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37237):
Joe (Vermont)
Dickie, do you think BYU will still win the MWC tourney? If so where do they end up in the field of 64?
Dick Vitale (11:14 AM)
I think they can regroup and win the conference tournament, but it won't be easy. The MWC is one of the toughest conferences in the country. But isn't it great that a university put rules and regulations and integrity above winning? I think they should be saluted for that.
Sports Nation had a poll on their site and reported the results on ESPN whether they think that BYU should have ignored the Honor Code violation or not. Both Michelle Beadle and her co-host (subbing for Colin Cowherd) said that they thought BYU should NOT have ignored the Honor Code violation. What did the rest of the viewers think? The majority said YES, that BYU should have ignored it and kept Davies on the team. Michelle and the guy said, well, I guess that makes sense since we live in a moral-less world.
Pat Forde of ESPN also had respect for BYU :
http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6175251&i=FB&w=1aeoy
And long time BYU Sports Play by Play commentator and journalist, Greg Wrubell, talked about the hard pill it is to swallow that we lost Davies in this manner. If it's due to injury, at least that does not include forethought and penalty. It was no doubt a big blow to the team and community:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=14566609
Danny Ainge talked about Brandon Davies and the Honor Code on the link below (knowing that he is a Bishop and has to discuss premarital relationships and its sanctity to the Mormon faith and and the potentially careless use of creating life on a radio program that goes online to hear nationally, makes this interesting):
http://audio.weei.com/a/37354448/danny-ainge-on-byu-s-brandon-davies-and-the-celtics.htm
Even a non-sports and often controversial blog writer wrote in on Davies:
http://dooce.com/2011/03/03/wherein-i-actually-approach-subject-sports
And former BYU Football star Reno Mahe, who was also kicked off the team for breaking Honor Code, was interviewed by ABC:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/brandon-davies-dismissal-byu-player-reno-mahe-suspended/story?id%3D13055950
I actually know Brandon Davies....he took Spanish at Provo High when I student taught. He is a very nice kid. Really fun to be around and a big joker. However, I don't think he feels that the jokes being made now about BYU are very funny.
It's sad to see all the twitter updates, facebook statuses and message boards that absolutely thrash Davies and what he did to the BYU Basketball program.
Yahoo front page, Salt Lake tribune, Deseret news, ESPN (and all its affiliates- Sports Nation, Sports Center), SI, ABC, Boston radio, and so many more I'm sure I don't know about....have all had something to say about Davies, the BYU Honor Code and it's relationship to Basketball. And I can understand why.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24558/davies-dismissal-threatens-byus-dream
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760
With so many high profile commentators (whose job is to weigh in and comment on everyone's athletic business), BYU students, BYU community, fans and haters alike all discussing Brandon Davies and what he did....and by extension the consequences it has tolled on the BYU Basketball team and its dreams....all the articles, news reports and interviews with players, coaches, professional analysts, former players and NBA directors....in the end, we are still talking about a guy, a sophomore who still has at least 2 years of college left, now dealing with the weight and complete anguish of what his actions have done to a basketball team, his family, friends, teammates, and if the reports are true, how to provide for his unborn child in a few months. I sure hope that amid all the jeering, scoffing, speculation and analysis...that Davies has found a place of solace. A house, room, apartment or classroom that will look at him as a guy trying to now do the right thing after making a mistake. I sure hope that people in his classes this year or in the hallway or locker room do not look at him with anger, resentment or even sorrow. Any one of us would not appreciate having our mistakes plastered all across every media outlet in the nation. I sure hope that a guy trying to put his life back together feels like there is hope and a little bit of compassion around. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to be counted as the guy or girl picking up the next stone to throw at a guy already at his knees...if not lower due to the immense public scrutiny that few others have to endure. Like Coach Rose and Danny Ainge have said of him, and I'm sure another person a bit higher up....he's a good kid. I guess I just hope that all the writers of facebook statuses, twitter updates and article journalists would remember the person behind who they may blame, bash or bruise (like the fans sitting behind us on Wednesday's game....they kept personally attacking Brandon for loosing this game for them). But I'm so happy when I see other students supporting him and encouraging his now painful journey. Of course what he did was wrong, he did violate the Honor Code that he signed, and is paying a far higher price than anyone you or I know due to the involvement of the media. BYU may not, in fact, make it to the Final Four like everyone had projected....but who cares.....I just hope that Brandon Davies shows up for classes next year and when he steps onto another basketball court, he is applauded for making an incredibly painful comeback. With his history being plastered all across computer screens, tv screens and newspaper front pages.....that would be a really great feat. I hope to see it happen, and when it does, I will be standing up...hooting and hollering!
Coincidentally, at the BYU v UNLV game, Brandon was the only one that signed a shirt for Brenden (who was so worried about falling off the railing, that he didn't look up for the picture). Good luck Brandon. We're cheering for you. And, of course, for our team. Hope to see you play next year.

No comments:
Post a Comment