Sunday, April 8, 2018

Starting thinking....a dangerous pastime.....I know.......

As most often occurs, I had my deepest thinking when in the middle of my bedtime routine....no distractions, no phone, no kids, no jobs to finish....
Got to thinking about how much I enjoyed stealing my nephew, Jace, after soccer game one Saturday to play with my kids for the afternoon before I took him back to his parents house. Then I remembered how much fun it was to have Haley and Alyssa for a few days....and also when I sat next to Haley at brunch today (at McDonalds after soccer game) and I asked her if we could switch names just for the day....that I really liked the name Haley and she could be Coley. But she told me that I can't be Haley because I don't have curly hair. Gosh, I love these kids!
That got me to thinking about my own kids....and when I get them one-on-one how much I enjoy them and can see their personalities come alive because they have my entire focus and attention. When it's just me and B, he's easy going, more talkative and a good heart. Having just Kyleigh around shows me what a creative, smart, but humble and kind girl she is. Kent is a hoot and Dean is full on rough and tough, but can turn a leaf and be soft and gentle.
So, that got me to thinking that, sure, having all 4 of my kids at once is....a handful. It's not easy, but in general, that's probably the case with any group of kids....you get them one-on-one and you can see their good qualities and the manner in which we communicate and cooperate is more.....well, easy to see. Or, all competition or distraction is taken away and they are able to also choose more wisely and be on what seems better behavior because maybe they don't have distractions or a feeling of competition or anything else that holds them back from being able to shine.
Which made me think that maybe that's how God is able to deal with us....and be so patient. He can clear away all the distractions and clutter and other people, and can see us as if we are the only person He wants to deal with at the moment. How incredibly privileged we would feel. And, most likely, act on our better behavior. But again, He can look at us, judge us, deal with us and guide, direct us and though He were dealing with us one-on-one...not en mass. Not like a normal mortal parent who has multiple kids to deal with at the same time with varying needs and degrees of difficulty.
I liked that thought. And I'd like to see how to parent in that way-in the midst of the hustle and bustle and multiple kids and all their needs-be able to sort through it and see that child as if he/she were the only one I had to deal with at the moment. Of course I don't expect a high success rate, at least at first, because....well, I'm mortal, and FULL of shortcomings, but I'd like to try......

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails