Dad cooked for maybe 150 people again this weekend...seems like that happens every time I go down to Vegas. This time it was for a family friend. We also got to be at a baby blessing for another family friend/Steph's inlaws. So, this Halloween weekend turned out to be a really great time to see alot of family and old friends.
I had told Mom and Dad that I was coming on Wed, but surprised them by showing up on Tues. Unfortunately when we arrived and made our first stop at Dad's office to surprise him, he was in Mount Charleston at a Conference. So we sat Brenden in his office chair and sent him a picture message to let him know where we were :)
Next stop was home. We sure surprised Mom and Maddy! Nice for us, Mom had just pulled out some homemade rolls from the oven she was making for the ward party. Hot rolls, home and alot of family around. Wow.
Uncle Scotty happens to be excellent with little kids and his little niece is no exception. It is a most heartwarming thing to see Uncle Scotty so tender and careful with his 'breakable' niece. He will hold her for the longest time...much after I expect to have him come to me and give her back so he can move onto the next activity, he holds and rocks her still.

I think Kyleigh felt quite comfortable in his very able arms.

So much so that she soon fell asleep. Scott wasn't sure if he could put her down in her crib without waking her up, but I told him I thought he was gentle enough that he could do it just as well as I could...

And he was very soft with her. Laid her down so carefully. He bent down so slowly and cradled her extremely well till she touched the soft blankets and he unwrapped his arms from her body, again with slow, careful movements. For such a tough guy, this was pretty sweet to watch.


Nice work, Bud. You did it.

Since Kyleigh now takes the playpen for her sleeping quarters, Brenden was moved to the top bunk of the bed. It has railing and we set it up with lots of pillows to prevent any accidental falls. This way, Trent and I didn't have to climb to the top bunk, with me climbing down a couple times during the middle of the night to feed Kyleigh; and Brenden is somewhat trapped and not allowed to escape whenever he wanted.
The pillow fortress. Is there a kid in there?

This bed probably feels enormous to Brenden now with so much space and pillows all around. It will most likely not seem so big to him when he grows into it. But by then, he'll be kicked out into the playroom with his other cousins for a huge sleepover...or sent to Uncle Scotty's house or Uncle Jared and Aunty Courty. He likes Oatmeal (Cream of Wheat happens to be his favorite) with a good dose of brown sugar for breakfast :)

There IS a child in the sea of pillows and blankets!

When he wakes up, he heads straight to Gma and Pop Pop's room. When I was driving down to Vegas, Brenden took a nap (thank goodness! 6 full hours with a toddler and infant is much more pleasant when they get adequate rest). I looked back when I heard him move. He had his hands behind his head as he usually does when napping. His eyes were barely visible in his sleepyness and 'waking-up' state, and said, not quite awake yet, "Pop Pop?" I didn't know if he remembered where we were or what's going on, but obviously his mind was alert and mindful still of where we were headed. To Pop Pops!!
Since the temperature in Grandpa's room is several degrees colder than the rest of the house, Gma wrapped him tight and snug with a warm blanket to finish his milk and watch Mickey Mouse. And in Pop Pop's chair! What treatment!

Not quite awake yet.

B very much enjoys his morning milk.

Grandma took Maddy, B, K and I to the pumpkin patch to grab our pumpkins to carve. They had cotton candy, icees, other junk/carnival food, some blowup slides, petting zoo, trampoline with harness to jump extra high....and some pumpkins.

Aunt Squid and B checking out the sturdiness of the merchandise.

B sneaking through the pumpkins to get to the trampoline. He almost got through before Maddy caught him. Hope he learns to pay for things before he grows much older. Guess that's my job.
I wonder if he thought he had a chance with no one supposedly around....

Security did get to him quickly though and pointed him in the right direction.
Gma telling B to go find his own pumpkin.

"How 'bout this one, Gma?"

Ahh, little Brenden-size pumpkins. Great selection.

I think he grabbed the biggest one there was. Attaboy!

But B taking a quick check to make sure it really was the most grande

Yep, it passed. Loading up the wagon.

"Going somewhere, B?"
Little guy trying to be the man of the group and push our wagon.

...still trying....

"Hmmm, maybe if I just take this one out...."

You know the old saying, "If you can't beat 'em, Join 'em!"

Ash met up with us later on with Salym, who graciously took the patch crew's photo. B was enjoying his red snow cone a little too well.

Cotton candy, Snow cone, Brenden, Kyleigh and I. We missed you, Trent!! You'll have to go with us next time to the carnival, .... I mean, pumpkin patch.

A few pumpkin carving people. John has his printout pattern for his pumpkin on the floor next to him. Nice choice. Maddy, Ash and Salym all chose one out of a book full of patterns.
What a dirty, slimy mess. Looks like fun...

Me, I got my inspiration elsewhere...

The cannibal pumpkin in process. Guess the other girls wanted in on the workmanship

I'd like to thank Brenden for letting me borrow/use his pumpkin for a prop in ours :)

After our Baked Sandwiches, it was off to the houses. Last year Brenden only made it to about 5 houses. This year he really understood the whole idea of door-to-door trick or treating. Once he understood that you simply show up, smile at the nice lady or scary gentleman, and they give you lots of candy, this kid RAN from house to house. Grandpa was wise and took B's bucket to help him run faster and not so lopsided. Brenden had quite the entourage as Scotty, Ash, Trent, Kyleigh, Grandpa and I were all following this little rapid-fire-legs toddler as he tried to collect as much pirate's loot as possible. This year we went all the way around our block and he was still running as we got back to our house. My camera died after this first house, so I'll have to get some of the funny houses and action shots from Dad's camera later.

Aunty Steph with Kyleigh the little Lamb.

Scallywag B. Watch out. Armed and very dangerous.

Baby K did accompany us on our trick or treating adventure, although she won't remember it except by this photo. You were trick or treating at 3 months babe! Probably wouldn't have been able to make it a family trick or treating affair if we were in Utah weather.

Thanks Pop Pop and Gma for letting us come crash the big party. We had a great time and enjoyed ourselves immensely....like always.

1 comment:
So fun!! Thanks for all the pictures. (Avery understood Halloween a lot better this year, too.) Cute lamb!
Post a Comment