I'm pretty lucky. I have an incredible group of friends. I can't think of another time in my life where I have been surrounded by such quality, kind, good and fun women. I don't have to walk or drive a mile to find someone who I could count on in an emergency or for advice, or just to discover some more incredible recipes with which to dazzle my family (ok, just my husband...my kids are still 'bird-like' eaters).
Being able to rub shoulders with so many women my own age, has given me alot of time to think about how I'm doing. Luckily, it's not the competition feeling where I come home discouraged that my house doesn't look like theirs, my closet isn't pumped full of the beautiful array that garnishes theirs, or my kids don't carry all the awards or accomplishments of their kids. It's just a great friendship.
A couple things I've learned during my time in Ohio:
Humility and Harmony in marriage is crucial to well-being. Like 'life support' type crucial.
Kids need a pro-active parent, not just one that is present in the same room.
An escape from daily routine or pressures is healthy (as long as carried out in proper balance).
A constant, and developing, relationship with God can make up the difference in any and all sizes of failures or short-comings.
In marriage, I used to think that I needed to be strong. On my own. That it was completely up to me and my intelligence and brawn to pull through any tough times. Nights grew long without a helping spouse next to me to push two young kids through the rest of the day up until the lights went out...and in a seamless manner. If it wasn't exhaustion, then it may have been frustration (but it wasn't his fault at all that the class he has to take is only offered at night...he didn't choose that time)....however, when my husband finally did walk through the door, I didn't always have that ready smile and happy, pleasant greeting to meet him when he came in through the door. But why should he get that treatment? Why was I thinking selfishly? Is that what I would want from him if the roles were reversed? To be bone-tired, mentally strained from classes and work, come home and not be pleasantly greeted? No way. He sure doesn't deserve it.
After talking to a friend who I've grown to love here in Ohio, she mentioned that the 'enabling' power of the Atonement is real. I couldn't agree more. I simply cannot help but think that that is the only reason that there is still a shred of peace and harmony in the home when being a pregnant 'law-school widow'. Trent tries his best, and amazingly, is doing well in his classes even though he spends time doing his calling at Church with the Young Men which takes time away from studying as well as make time for some family outings. Who ever said that the Atonement is only for those who are hurt physically or spiritually? What about emotionally and mentally as well? There are no prerequisites when coming up to the bar and ask for a piece of strength made possible in a grove of trees on the other side of the world so long ago.
I'm glad for friendships-both in my ward, neighborhood and especially in my home. And the ones that come from Heaven are pretty sweet as well.
1 comment:
Totally agree, I made the best friends in Akron and I still really really miss it! ANd totally agree that the friends I made never made me feel competitive or bad about myself, but I was always uplifted and inspired! I was just thinking that yesterday when I left RS feeling really discouraged and like I wasn't "good enough". I never felt that way in Akron.
And I'm a lot like you where I feel like I need to be super independent and do everything on my own and be some kind of superwoman. Especially during law school because I couldn't really expect much help from Andrew. I especially loved your next post about marriage. Girl, you are way ahead of the game for realizing now how much Trent needs your support and trying harder to show him you love him. There were so many times when I would be almost resentful towards Andrew because I had it so hard, not even really thinking about what he was going through. Totally wish I would have tried to be more supportive. Loved your list. And BTW I like Andrew a lot more now that he's done with school, he is like a differnt person. Not stressed, so much more easy going and just more fun to have around. Not sure if it seems like Trent is super stressed out or how he's handling everything, but just know that it gets better :)
Post a Comment