...they will take forever to go to sleep over the next few days in pure excitement.
We built a bunk bed for B & K. Kyleigh was about to turn 3 and couldn't stay in a crib forever. I wasn't about to buy a toddler bed or twin bed, only to sell it or put it into storage once we had another baby...because these rooms are not large enough to feasibly put 2 twins into the room. Bunk beds are more practical. Found this website full of free plans and after perusing alot of the 'brag boards' of other people's projects who have built furniture from her plans...I couldn't get the thought out of my head...."we could do this".
There might have been alot of convincing to get Trent to say ok to driving us all to Home Depot with the plans I printed to buy some lumber. (And hopefully nobody saw a couple pieces of it sticking out my window that wouldn't fit in my little Honda. We had the guys at Home Depot cut some pieces, but others you just need at a longer length). Trent was weary of our competency in building a piece of furniture...one that our children would use alot...when we have no prior experience. I don't blame him. The first piece you build should probably not be one that has the potential of harming your children. But it would be really cool for the kids to help us build it and be able to say that they painted this piece, or cut this piece, and feel good in contributing to something tangible. (Price also played into this decision. It cost us the same as a new bunk bed at the cheapest level on the walmart or target website, however, the quality is decidedly different. The bunk beds are about the style and durability of a bunk bed comparable to this price level: http://reviews.landofnod.com/6329/5174/reviews.htm $1,200+ bunk beds. The amount of labor hours are significantly higher than a kit you buy from a website, but at this point, it was worth that trade off.)
I really like the smell of freshly cut lumber. B brought the wrong tool to help.
Supervising the new inventory.
Loving the sawdust.
Kyleigh brought refreshments.
Happy recipient
It was a hot July when we decided to build this bed. Had to bring the kids in regularly when we worked on it outside so that they wouldn't dehydrate.
Everything now cut and sanded reeeeeal good.
She's a quick learner. Measure twice, cut once.
Comedic relief.
People pay alot of money for the kind of muscle we had on hand.
(The board might have weighed just about as much as she does).
Can't hold her down. One determined little gal.
Our cuts turned out pretty dang straight.
...thanks to an excellent measuring girl.
B's room got pretty messy.
Kyleigh was still sleeping in her crib until the bed was finished...but the anticipation of being so close to sleeping in the same room as her best pal was building.
Kyleigh: "Uh oh...maybe this isn't going to be so great."
Headboard and footboard was the most time consuming building part.
The glove was found in this position, so a photo had to be taken. A good sign for bunk bed building for sure.
So close. Last piece to be drilled.
Kyleigh didn't like the loud noise. She's sensitive.
He's a crazy kid.
I wanted to test the strength of the slats before throwing on a mattress and putting Kyleigh to bed underneath. Some people use a bunch of 2x2s or a bunkie board. But another guy told us he used several 2x6 pieces, so that's what we did.
Sometimes I couldn't wait until Trent came home from work, and feeling so close to being done, I cut and nailed/drilled the side railings and ladder together.
The one thing I regret is staining this until 2 am. I was too anxious to finish. It was so dark in the room and our meager lamps just didn't throw out much light. There are too many spots that I can see I didn't wipe up the stain after letting it soak in a bit. I went over and did a second stain coat to somewhat make a more uniform coating, but to me, it's not like it should be if done with better lighting. Trent did the final poly coat since we live in humid Ohio and it takes so long to dry between stain coats. We didn't have time for the poly coat before I flew with the kids to Vegas to visit family for vacation and cousins' wedding.
However, the kids don't mind. All they see is a giant playground in their room and more playtime 'after hours' together. They would talk and laugh and climb all over the thing for the first several days. Impossible to tuck them in and say, "go to sleep"...
2 comments:
That is awesome! That turned out really well. Good work.
Love your blog! Seriously in shock that you built that bunk bed...seriously. amazing. I think it looks great!!
Post a Comment