Sunday, August 7, 2011

Brenden went duck paddling

I signed Brenden and Kyleigh up for swim lessons before we went to Lake Powell so that they would get used to the water. But we live in Utah, so they have opportunities far and few between to get in the water, and when they do get in, it's freezing cold! I couldn't stand being in the water for more than 5 minutes so I didn't hesitate to take Kyleigh out of the pool early for a few of her lessons. When her lips start turning purple, it's time to leave. They said the heating element broke, but we're in June!!!! They shouldn't need a heating element. Oh well. My kids just won't grow up being water babies. They aren't so comfortable or excited about the water as their desert cousins. That's alright I guess. They'll be great snow sledders.

Ditch the jacket....

He liked this teacher. She was real good with the kids.

The first day, when the classes were over, they told the kids to find their parents. Kyleigh and I were in the small pool on the right(not visible in the picture) and I thought they would hold the kids at their spot in the pool for the parents to come get them....so when I go to Brenden's area and he's not there...I get a little worried with so many kids around. Can't find him with a quick sweep of the pool, so I head quickly to the parking lot first just in case he ran there. No sign of him, so I go back to the pool...holding a wet, shivering Kyleigh the whole time...until I see him at the far end of the pool looking scared out of his mind not finding his Momma. I was in the pool directly next to his, but with a scared little kid running every which way, it took longer than I would have liked. So, the next day, I showed Brenden where Kyleigh and I would be if he got out of the pool before Kyleigh and I did. I walked him to his and looked back to my pool so that he would recognize it. But, they decided to switch the Parent and Tot class from the small pool that you can't see on the right, to the far end of the pool that you can see here on the left. I was in the same pool as Brenden and could see him the whole time, so I wasn't worried about telling him the new spot....but I didn't expect him to jet out of the pool before Kyleigh and I could reach the stairs to get out....and he ran around looking scared again...but this time I watched him the whole time and kept calling his name until it registered through his worried little mind. It would be so much easier if they just told the kids to stay put until their parents came to get them instead of directing them to go look for mom or dad.

This day was exceptionally cold outside, and the pool is never heated real well, so I didn't even get Kyleigh into her swim suit and make her suffer since she isn't really learning a whole lot that will be forgotten by next year anyway. She entertained herself by climbing up and down the red staircase.

Now that we're in Akron, OH, and it's definitely not any warmer than Utah, I'll be searching around for an indoor pool rec center for their swim lessons next year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails