Trent and I have just finished week #1 of our 4 year stay and my supposed 'single parent stage'. I expected this. I had heard the rumors of being a law school widow. But the long term benefits outweigh the short term difficulties.
Fortunately, the unpacking has continued and there is one box left.
The meals have been homemade and the dishes have been completed every night.
The kids have had clean bodies, clean pjs, and clean teeth. [And very very few skirmishes in the 2 (kids) vs 1 (parent) battle].
Yesterday I was reaching the tired, need to go to bed, headache stage by 7pm.
We even fit in 2 bike rides with the kids, a couple of parks, playgroup with the Ward at the neighborhood wading pool, and storytime at the Downtown Library (which was excellent and that's not just because they served ice cream with sprinkles and chocolate or had all the popular kitchen play toys that B & K love).
I thought this week was going to be a cranky, tiring week, and it was tiring, but ended up being more of a content, tiring week. And I think it may have happened that way because I didn't see the kids as another 'chore' to be done. So we spent a little extra time in the tub than necessary for the ensuing squirt gun battles to be terminated, and probably one too many chocolate milks than necessary (I gave Brenden 2 servings because he asked for more after finishing his first cup before I was done making my own....but hey, the stuff was out still, so why not a second??!)
At this point, these are not universe changing, phenomenon recording events, but in my little world....it has helped send me off to bed very tired, but quietly content. And that is a feeling I can get used to over the next 4 years.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry Nicole! I wish we lived closer. I totally hear you on never having a hubby home...ever. I hope week 2 goes well and knowing you you will have wonderful, good friends there that will help pull you through! <3 <3
Post a Comment