I won't deny it. I'm glad the kids can spend a large amount of time just plowing through books. It's the one thing in the playroom that I really don't mind picking up...the giant hill of books. Brenden is the more regular offender. He sits in the little brown and green chair that his Grandpa bought him when we lived in the apartments in West Jordan, UT and pulls out book after book. He flips through the page, sometimes stopping to make up the story, and then dumps it on the floor to grab another one. And he's not prejudice either. I'll find My Little Pony books mixed with Tonka Trucks and Barbie right next to Lightning McQueen. (Trent doesn't like this so much and will confiscate the 'girly' books if he ever catches Brenden reading them). However, anytime Brenden is asked to pick out a book for story time, it usually has something to do with Planes, Trains, Cars or a good fairy tale. Grandma bought us a fairy tale compilation book and I think we have gone through every single one of them...even ones I had never heard of before.
Their recent favorites are the Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems...and we check those out from the library by the handful.
Kyleigh is reading Elephant and Piggie book called "A Big Guy Took My Ball"...and there are two more in the series at her feet.
(Photo below is not staged. This is just how they react when they read these Elephant and Piggie books).
Besides books, we enjoy football in this house now that the season has (finally) begun.
(Shhhhh-I won't tell anyone that during the last game when BYU played against then #15 ranked Texas in Provo, that although the game ended at 12:30 at night for us on the East coast, Trent proceeded to stay up to listen to Greg Wrubell do all the interviews in the post game over the internet radio. He may have been extremely tired the next day during Church...but there was a slight smile behind the guilty face. He is one extreme fan. And very pleased to have watched such a rewarding game. I almost made it all the way through. If it hadn't been for the lightning delay, I could have given Trent someone to high five the night away with.)
Back to several weeks ago, Trent was gracious enough to help me with some laundry, so I thought it only appropriate to go upstairs, find the past BYU Football season highlight DVD and turn it on. Kyleigh went upstairs into the playroom and pulled out the football and an army helmet (which was later traded for a pink hat, but the army helmet was very clever...as she doesn't have a legitimate football helmet).
Kyleigh is holding Trent's old BYU football. It's from when he was a kid: as seen by the small size and much of the BYU logo worn off except for the Cougar still visible.
With another boy coming into the family, it'll be nice to have this little pink-loving girl at my side. Maybe we can perfect a few appetizers for the boys to enjoy while watching their Cougars throw around the pigskin.







No comments:
Post a Comment