Monday, November 9, 2015

A Home.

9/11/14
Now that I am on the brink of owning my first home, my mind wanders to all the previous homes I have lived in. For records and future generations sake, I'd like to list and briefly describe each home in reverse. Hopefully I can remember them all. There have been quite a few....


1797 Kingsley Ave., Akron, Ohio 44313
Built in 1956. Came with all the 'old' hardware, material and common problems that older homes have...leaky basement (our first rainstorm proved to drench our entire basement in water...the window well wasn't sealed and water would come gushing through the window in sheets). Lots of mosquitos, large spiders, and plenty of other random bugs I had never seen before. Great neighbors. Dave and Debbie Derr to the west and Dan and Kim Thomson to our east. Park nearby (I jogged while B & K rode their bikes to Hardesty Park). Library even closer. Kids and I regularly rode our bikes down to the library and filled the bike trailer up with books. One time I wasn't planning on renting books so I didn't bring a bag and I ran while Kyleigh rode her bike (she had just got a new one with training wheels so she was about 2 or 3). It began to rain on us on the way home and she couldn't get herself up the hills so I was bent over pushing her on the bike while the books were sliding and half falling out of my hands and getting fairly wet by the time we got home. It was a common thing to have to change raiment after coming in from playing outside. If it wasn't the direct rain soaking the clothes, it was the residual mud that caked everything...shoes were regularly rinsed in the kitchen sink from mud in the tread and on the canvas/leather.  Big basement where we stored food, camping gear, and boxes of memories from years past. Most of the cabinets and corners were filled with stuff the homeowner left behind. Main floor had family, dining rooms and kitchen. No pantry in the kitchen and two upper cabinets. The workable counter space was also limited to the space on each side of the sink below the two upper cabinets, so I convinced Trent that we needed to buy a long table with drawers and shelf at TJ Maxx. We put pots and pans on the shelf, towels and cooking utensils in the drawers and used the extra tabletop to prep food.


1200 W 1600 N St, Lehi, UT 84043
Beautiful home. Quiet, nice neighborhood (except for the passing train in the field nearby). Kyleigh was 1. Had her first Halloween party here with both sides of our family coming. That was an awesome feat and something that made me beam for days. Brenden had a birthday here and my parents came, Shari Anderson, Natalie Rideout and her boys and girl Layla. That made Brenden beam. He gets as tickled as him Mom when people come over to be with him.
The home had fresh paint and carpet when we moved in. We were told that there was a family that rented before us that had trashed the place. I felt so 'rich' that I walked into a home that still had that 'new home' smell. Of course, then you walked into the kitchen and the new home suddenly disappeared. It was small and appliances were old. But the pantry was huge! Our master was small, we couldn't fit side tables on each side and the bathroom barely had room for one sink along with the toilet and shower. The kids' bathroom was a little bigger because it was in the hallway and was also updated with its slate flooring. We had a downstairs playroom that I put a fold-away table for my sewing machine and other projects as well as the computer armoire/desk. Our TV just barely fit into the built-in wall cubby in the opposite room and there wasn't much room for a couch, so we just put our love sac and called it good. We especially liked the recessed lighting in the upstairs main room because it felt luxurious to Trent and I. Very 'high-class'. The backyard was not fenced so the neighbor kids would often walk to the bus and back through our yard since the bus drop off was the house next door to us. I felt so bad for the kids during the winter who waiting on the curb shivering, I wanted to open my garage and brew hot chocolate every morning for them....but tending to my own kids took precedence over that wish. Brenden was attending preschool at Lehi elementary and had wonderful teachers. He went in the morning and napped in the afternoon along with Kyleigh.
We set up our tent in the backyard and planned on sleeping out there, but instead contented ourselves with bringing mattresses, blankets, popcorn and portable DVD player to watch a movie outside in the tent. And since Trent enjoyed that so much, awhile later I set up the tent with the kids before he got home from work to surprise him...and he was so happy when he saw the tent set up. We spilled popcorn in there...but it was alot of fun.
We loved this home. The neighbors were great (Bishop Jason and Heidi Needles backyard touched ours and we often had their oldest daughter babysit while we went to our monthly Temple dates.) And we bought a year pass to Thanksgiving Point since we could drive there in 4 minutes...and visit year around to the Dinosaur museum, Farm, and Discover park. Costco, BYU and Temple all fairly close. It was hard to leave this place...but the promise of a brighter future lay ahead with the degree law school would afford and then I would be able to live in my own place!


3281 Thorpe View Circle, West Valley, UT 84128
Duplex. Shared the house with Dan and Stephanie Dunn (some of the best people...and Steph could not have been a better landlord and friend).


9300 South Redwood Rd. Apt 2423, West Jordan, Utah 84088
Willow Cove Apartments


8064 Silver King Dr., Las Vegas, Nevada 89129


1559 Oakcliff Dr., Provo, UT 84604
Grandparents basement on hill in Provo, Utah


873 East 560 North, Provo, Utah
Duplex apartment above Ladd Marshall and boys


983 N. 900 E. ChathamTowne, Provo, Utah


556 N 400 E #33, Provo, UT 84606, Liberty Square, Provo, Utah


Temuco, Chile


Angol, Chile


Canete, Chile


Chillan, Chile



Blue square place near larger apartment complex off University Ave (I think) with Evelyn Deaver, Chelsea and Dayna Glaysher
Open foyer, about 4 apartments on each floor and two floors


Deseret Towers 4th floor


8064 Silver King Dr., Las Vegas, NV 89129


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails