Today I was tired. I wanted to sit in my new nursing rocking chair and just take a nap. But, when the kids walked through the door as they got home from school...I knew something more needed to be done. So, I got up, walked down the stairs, gave Kyleigh a great big hug and told her I was so happy she was home, asked Brenden how his day was (he got on orange again today and showed me the slip from his teacher and was tentative and nervous about showing it) and gave him an even bigger hug and told him I loved him.
I asked Brenden to sweep up the pile of crumbs I collected because it was getting harder for me to bend over with a 6 month pregnant belly. He did, then I had him wash his hands so he could eat the last cupcake from his soccer party. I told him that there were 2 left-one for him and one for Kyleigh. He said, no, he'll save it for Kent (who was sleeping) because Kent didn't get any. I told him that Kent is going to have the leftover of mine that I had earlier that day. What a sweet boy though to think of others. He is wonderful. He is thoughtful. He is not selfish.
Kyleigh and I sat at the piano and I taught her the song Silent Night Holy Night. And she got it! The whole entire piece. She played some of it for Trent when we facetimed him later that night to see when he would be home (he got home at 8pm because he was studying for his 4th portion of the CPA that he takes tomorrow morning at 8am). He was proud of her and so was I. But she asked me if her face looked good or pretty (I think because she wasn't sure when she saw herself on the facetime screen). So I told her she was beautiful and I loved her.
I fed the kids chicken, taters, gravy and broccoli. Afterward, I said that if they cleaned up the downstairs and upstairs toys then I would get out the bubble bath and if they went quickly, they could have hot chocolate afterward. They began right away to work to clean the downstairs. It was nice. No fighting, no arguing. Just work. Then, we went upstairs together and I sat at the tall blue bin that I dumped upside down (because they were starting to just throw everything inside it without filter) and gave them each toy and directed which bin and location it belonged. (Kyleigh and Brenden have their own bins, a baby bin, a bullet/gun/walkie talkie bin, an animal bin, and a lego bin. Not to mention the 2 cars bins and large one for big toys and weapons). They worked well together and Brenden got distracted, but was able to be redirected. He is a good boy, he just has trouble staying on task.
Then I started the 2 tubs and had Kyleigh jump into mine and the 2 boys in their tub. They played with the bubbles for probably at least 20 minutes. When they got out I told them it was almost 8 pm and too late for hot chocolate now. They were sad, so I compromised and said if they do the dishes, I'll make hot chocolate while they do it. But, then I remembered that I wanted to trim Kyleigh's hair before driving to Phoenix tomorrow for thanksgiving, so after brushing her hair, I sat her on Trent's bathroom counter and pulled out my sheers. Gave her a quick trim and some layers in the front, then went downstairs...only to find out that Brenden had been playing the whole time. So I told him he could not have hot chocolate because he did not obey. He silently and sadly went upstairs and into his room (Kent was almost asleep, but not quite so he started talking a little bit when Brenden went in). Kyleigh and I finished the dishes and I made her chocolate milk. She was just finished drinking when Brenden came down the stairs and said in a soft and very meek voice, "Sorry Mom for not doing the dishes", and turned to go back upstairs. I called him down and said if he fixed the pillows, folded the blanket and hung his jacket, I would make him some chocolate milk. He said he didn't deserve it, but I told him he does deserve it, but he needs to earn it. He went right to work and was very gracious when I gave him the chocolate milk. I gave him another big hug and told him I love him and want to give him the chocolate milk but I couldn't when he disobeyed earlier but I could tell he was very sorry and was going to be obedient next time so I wanted to give him chocolate milk.
Then we read scriptures and the Berenstain Bears "Joy of Giving" book. While we read scriptures, Brenden whispered in my ear that when he went upstairs to go to bed, he was crying in his room. Then, he heard Kyleigh so he came out of his room and wanted to come down and say sorry, so he counted to 3 and then came down. He had the look of a truly repentant and meek person. I want to always remember that face and his voice. He was near perfect in his desire, intention and action. I hope to stay worthy to be his mom. (Quick side note: I think purposefully keeping the phone away from me while the kids were around helped to be able to hear the guidance of the Holy Spirit and let them know who was more important to me. Truly).
Then, in the family prayer, Kyleigh thanked Heavenly Father for the spirit of peace in our hearts in the home. She felt happy here and built up. Man, for starting out the day so exhausted and tired and having to continue to remind myself to not quit the household work or having the kids help me with it, (because at first I just wanted to leave it all till tomorrow when I woke up and had more energy, but decided that was a bad idea and best to get the work done now).
Kyleigh was able to be told that she was beautiful when her confidence wavered. Brenden was given a second chance and felt redeeming love, Kent got tickled and he jumped into my arms alot when I was changing the sheets on my bed.
Gosh, this Mom gig is so sweet. Makes me want to be a better person for these very sweet spirits. They have so much goodness that is inherent...I have to provide opportunities to allow that to grow further rather than either suffocate or stifle their goodness.
Sure love these kids. Grateful they are mine. Grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide me in my mothering. Made all the difference today.

No comments:
Post a Comment